[Getdp] Problem with description of magnetisation

pf231 at cam.ac.uk pf231 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 24 18:17:55 CEST 2001

Dear all,

Thank you, first of all, to Christophe and Patrick for the brilliant
getdp program.

I am presently working on a 3D FEM simulation of the transition region
from a permanent magnetic hexapole field to a dipole field. Being no
expert in FEM simulations at all I find myself in a problem, where I
need some help, which I hope you can provide me with:

I want to describe the system in a vector potential approach with the
edge finite elements with the tree gauging, that you sketched in the
manual. The problem comes in, when I try to describe the magnetisation.

Which function space can I use for it? A vector field didn?t work,
because I couldn?t define a curl on it (curl (magnetisation)=0), but
otherwise I don?t know how to get it into the Galerkin equation (if I
use it as a constant) or to define it properly (if I use a 1form space
for the magnetisation).

If you could give me a direction to solve the problem, I would be
extremely grateful to you.

Thank you very much in advance, best regards

Peter Fouquet