[Getdp] explicit method

Christophe Geuzaine Christophe.Geuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Thu Nov 22 09:39:03 CET 2001

Lin Ji wrote:

> Dear Christophe,
>     Can we use some explicit method at each time step instead of solving a
> big linear system while solving wave equation in GetDP?

No, not yet. Making a FEM method on an unstructured mesh explicit is not
a piece of cake (you have to diagonalize your matrix, and this can not
be done with arbitrary non orthogonal meshes). The only "simple" thing
would be to consider orthognal meshes, but that goes against our aim of
generality for the code...

> This will save a lot
> of computation time especially when I have thousand of time steps. If it can,
> do we have much trade off in accuracy? By the way, thank you for your
> comments on the Perfectly macthing absorbing layer.

I have just posted a small PML example on the list. You can maybe adapt
it to fit your needs.

Christophe Geuzaine

Tel: 32 (0) 4 366 37 10    http://geuz.org
Fax: 32 (0) 4 366 29 10    mailto:Christophe.Geuzaine at ulg.ac.be