[Getdp] Need help getting started

Christophe Geuzaine geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu
Fri Jul 18 17:12:50 CEST 2003

Marc van Doornik wrote:
> Hello,
>

> First of all, let me start out by saying "thank you" for supplying us with
> such a great piece of software!
>
> However, I do have some trouble understanding how I can use it for a simple
> mechanical problem. As a "hello, world" problem, I would like to:
>
> * create and mesh a simple rectangular bar
> * attach material definitions (such as E-modulus, poisson ratio, etc.)
> * constrain it on one end
> * exert a force on the opposing end
> * plot the deformed shape and occurring stresses
>
>>From the manual, I cannot comprehend how to start this problem. Creating the
> mesh with Gmsh proved to be no problem, however, the rest is quite unclear
> to me. Any help concerning this matter would thus be greatly appreciated.

I would not yet recommend getdp to solve mechanical problems (that is,
if you want a code that "just works"): it relies on undocumented
features whose syntax will change in the near future.

If you need a "ready-to-use" free software for solving mechanical
problems, check out http://www.code-aster.org/.

Christophe A. Geuzaine
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Caltech
geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu - http://geuz.org