[Getdp] Advice on GetDP formulation

Christophe Geuzaine c.geuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Sun Oct 26 17:45:19 CET 2003

Vincent Morin wrote:

>       Hello,
>
>       I have difficulties to understand how to translate a differential
> equation into a formulation. Would it be possible to have a reference to
> understand GetDP's Galerkin lines in particular (interpretation of the
> two terms of the Galerkin{}.

The two terms represent a "scalar product" in a weak formulation, i.e.
"Galerkin [ a , b ]; In Omega;" means "\int_\Omega a \cdot b".

To understand how to go from a differantial equation to a weak
formulation, any finite element reference should do. (For example, for
electromagnetic problems, a good read is Bossavit's book--see
http://www.geuz.org/pipermail/getdp/2001/000308.html.)

Christophe A. Geuzaine
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Caltech
geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu - http://geuz.org