[Getdp] 3D Magnetostatic problem

Christophe Geuzaine geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu
Sun Sep 12 02:08:24 CEST 2004

Dobri Cundev wrote:

> Dear autors of GET DP,
>
> You have made a great freeware software for numerical
> calculation of electric and magnetic fields. In past 2
> weeks i have made several solutions for 2D and 3D
> Electrostatic field, and 2D Magnetostacic field.
> At this moment i have serious problems in defining the
> commands for 3D three dimensional Magnetostatic field.
> Please, send me the simpliest example of one already solved
> problem of 3D magnetostatic field.

The simplest example for 3D magnetostatics is actually exactly the same
as for 3D electrostatics.

Things get more complicated if you have inductors (with holes), etc.
GetDP can solve all these problems, but you really need to be familiar
with the theory in order to use them--and adapt the formulation to your
particular problem.

The basic magnetic vector potential and magnetic scalar potential
formulations are sketched here:

http://geuz.org/getdp/doc/slides/getdp-18.html

Best,

Christophe Geuzaine
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Caltech
geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu - http://geuz.org