[Getdp] Init from Resolution

Christophe Geuzaine christophe.geuzaine at case.edu
Mon Aug 29 02:51:28 CEST 2005

Christian Geikowsky R. wrote:
> Dear Christphe:
>

> I have a Resolution in an TimeStep algorithm.
>

> When I am  executing an iteration, my computer (WinXP) stops computing
> when the capacity by memory RAM is exceeded.
>
> I would like beginning again the calculus from the last point for GetDP
> calculated in an TimeStep algorithm.
>
> Is possible to start a new iteration starting from the Resolution once
> was obtained?

Hi Christian - Normally, you should be able to restart the computation
with "getdp -restart".

But it would be nice to know why the memory fills up over time: do you
by any chance ask for post-processing operations at the same time as the
resolution ("getdp -solve -pos")? This is actually not a good idea for
long time-stepping computations, as GetDP then stores all the solutions
during the resolution in order to have them available for the
post-processing stage. For long time-stepping computations it is best to
do both steps separately ("getdp -solve", then "getdp -pos"): this way
GetDP can free the solutions as soon as it does not need them anymore,
and the post-processing step will simply re-read the solutions from disk
later on.

Hope this helps,

Christophe Geuzaine
Assistant Professor, Case University, Mathematics
christophe.geuzaine at case.edu