[Getdp] ... thermal radiation between two surfaces ...

Christophe Geuzaine cag32 at case.edu
Sun Mar 5 02:00:20 CET 2006

mkoch at gvtc.com wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have seen radiation in GetDP applied to a SINGLE surface in a similar fashion
> as convection. That is to say, both transfer heat into the temperature of
> "infinity" or "bulk" or "ambient" via effective heat transfer coefficients.
>
> I am interested in radiation BETWEEN the surfaces of TWO bodies, both modeled in
> GetDP and both changing temperature as the problem dictates. An additional
> complication enters with geometric configuration (or view) factors, which are
> typical of radiation. But I think I can handle those as long as I know how to
> "access" and "combine" the two surfaces and their temperatures in the
> FunctionSpace and the Formulation. Can anybody get me started on such a
> problem?

Doesn't this lead to an integral term, where the value at one point
depends on the values at all other points on the boundary?

Then you might want to look at "Integral" quantities in Formulations
(instead of "Local"). I'm not sure if there is an example on the mailing
list for this, though. An integral term will look something like this:

Formulation {
   { Name MagSta_phi; Type FemEquation;
     Quantity {
       { Name integral; Type Integral; [ foo[] * Dof{q} ];
         In Gamma; Integration I1; Jacobian JSur; }
     }
     Equation {
       Galerkin { [ bar[] * Dof{integral} , {q} ] ;