[Getdp] Simple (?) magnetostatics

Christophe Geuzaine cag32 at case.edu
Sun Mar 5 03:05:14 CET 2006

Jasper wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to GetDP and I intend to use it for 3D magnostatic modelling. As
> a start I took the demo/example from the wiki for 2D magnetostatics and
> put a small square magnet in a square of air. This all worked OK as far
> as I can tell.
> My next attempt was to take this very simple example and extend it to
> three dimensions, thus a small magnetic cube in a cube of air. Using
> examples from the presentation/wiki/mailing list I tried to adapt the
> problem definition file to three dimensions.
> But with the 3D example GetDP does not converge to a solution. From what
> I gather from the examples it might have something to do with a Gauge
> condition, which I need in 3D but I wasn't able to find any links
> explaining this...

That's correct. I haven't run your example, but looking at the
formulation you should use the gauge condition in the whole domain, i.e.
you should use:

	{ Name Gauge; Type Assign;
		Case {
		  { Region Omega; SubRegion Bound; Value 0.0; }
		}
	}

as your constraint.

--
Christophe Geuzaine
Assistant Professor, Case Western Reserve University, Mathematics