[Getdp] Re-2: ... two disjoined bodies with radiation interaction ...

Matt Koch mattkoch at alum.mit.edu
Tue Apr 11 15:26:26 CEST 2006

Hi Matthias,

attached are my test files for the problem we discussed. I have the
habit of breaking up the problem into its logical units, so that's why
there are four files (and often five, if I define non-linear materials
properties). The problem seems to calculate as is, but it does not seem
to converge. This configuration is at the end of a long line of attempts
messing with FunctionSpace, Formulation and Resolution - it still is not
the final answer. Enjoy perusing them, and if you figure out where I am
wrong, all the better.

The problem describes two disks, and the "long-distance" interaction I
am looking for is between the bottom of the top disk and the top of the
bottom disk. The top of the top disk has a heat flux imposed to
introduce some heat into the problem. That heat is to spread from the
top disk to the bottom disk across the "Interface". In earlier
configurations (don't have them around any more, but it was based on two
FunctionSpaces "TmpA" and "TmpB", rather than one "Tmp"), I achieved
convergence, but I only ever got non-zero results for the top plate, and
always zeros for the bottom plate, i.e. it did not even seem to get
initialized to 293.15 K properly.

I am at my wit's end, so whatever you can come up with might actually
break the deadlock. Ideally, I'd have each disk described by a separate
FunctionSpace TmpA (bottom disk) and TmpB (top disk) - that seems to
make the most sense to me, but then again I may not understand the true
meaning of FunctionSpace.

Regards and Thanks for looking into this,

Matt