[Getdp] Thin layers

Matt Koch mattkoch at alum.mit.edu
Mon Apr 17 20:07:33 CEST 2006

Hi All,

Yes, I too am interested in this.

In fact, one aspect of an earlier (unanswered) request of mine for help
with thermal transport between disjoined bodies with gas in between ties
into this. The bodies could interact via radiation, which may be too
much complication for this thin layer request, but they could also
interact via accommodation, which would be the case if the bodies were
very close together or the pressure of the gas were very low. In that
case, molecular conduction (accommodation) overtakes viscous conduction,
and only the temperatures and accommodation coefficients of the two
interface areas matter - the conditions in the layer between the
interfaces are immaterial. I suspect this is the sort of thing Stephane
might be after?

I am sorry I cannot help with a direct answer here, I am at my wit's
end, but I hope to help create enough momentum for folks with more
intelligence than mine to start looking into this.

Thanks,

Matt Koch