[Getdp] ... FunctionSpace Terminology ...

mkoch at gvtc.com mkoch at gvtc.com
Fri May 12 15:47:57 CEST 2006

Hi All,

OK, so, I think I have finally gotten it into my thick skull how to
transform equations from the easily understood (for me) differential
forms into the rather obtuse (for me) variational forms required for
GetDP. BUT, I am still facing a mountain of hurdles in terms of
implementation.

Currently, I am puzzled by the Form0, Form1 and Form2 FunctionSpace,
when there is also a Scalar and Vetor FunctionSpace available. I can
deal with the latter two (they make physical sense to me), but am
rather clueless as to what the former three are supposed to be, even
though I dutifully copy them for sample problems. In addition there is
Form1P and such.

Furthermore, people tend to use terms like "Dof(d a)" in Formulations,
rather than "Dof(Curl a)" or "Dof(Div a)", which would make a lot more
sense to me. Does the use of either depend on which FormX or Vector or
Scalar I chose? If so, how? Also, in scalar problems (heat
conduction), I believe one does not have to change the FunctionSpace
as one goes from 2D to 3D. But for vector problems (at least
electro-magnetics), I see Form1P used in 2D and Form1 in 3D. What's up
with that?

Can anybody illuminate?

Thanks,

Matt Koch, Ph.D., P.E.
Science & Technology Consultants (SciTeX)
www.scitex.us
mattkoch at scitex.us