[Getdp] WG: Formulation

Kubicek Bernhard Bernhard.Kubicek at arsenal.ac.at
Wed Jan 10 18:30:03 CET 2007

Hello!

Maybe this mail I once wrote helps you. http://www.geuz.org/pipermail/getdp/2006/000864.html

The main idea with weak form is this (at least as I understand it): You have a differential equation of second order. You want to solve it with picewise linear functions. This is a problem, because the  second derivative is zero within the elements (e.g. Volumetric Cells), or undefined at the one-less-dimensional connection elements (e.g. Surfaces of cells). The solution is the weak form, also sometimes called "variational formulation" e.g. see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FEM#The_variational_form_of_P2

(basically thats just a 3D partial integration)

Another source is the often cited Bossavit (see Wiki->Theoretical References, the pdf is online somewhere), which however is written for mathematicians.

Understanding the weak form _is_ somewhat necessary for creating new formulations in GetDP. But no worries, if you digg in the archives, you will find that nearly everyone new to GetDP first bumps against this step.

nice greetings,
Bernhard