[Getdp] basic permant magnet question - please help

Pei-Ying Hsieh pei-ying.hsieh at siemens.com
Wed Mar 14 17:00:57 CET 2007

Dear GetDP users:

I just started learning about magnetism.  I have a couple of basic
questions that I am not able to figure out.  It will be appreciated if
someone here can shed some light on this.

I have a permanent magnet - no electric current in the domain.  I would
like to calculate the magnetic flux density.

I have found a 3D code posted by Jasper in 2006.  The questions are:

1. The governing equation for magnetostatics filed is:
    Curl ( nu * Curl A) = J, where A is vector potential and J is electric
current density.
    Now, since there is no current, I will think that J is zero.
2. In the Formulation of getdp code (2D Magnetostatics example on getdp
wiki),
    it showed:
       Equation {
                    Galerkin { [nu[] * Dof{ Curl a}, {Curl a}]; In Domain;
Jacobian JVol; Integration I1; }
                    Galerkin { [hc[], {Curl a}; In Domain_M; Jacobian
JVol; Integration I1;}
        }

How does {hc[], {Curl a}} come into the equation? I believe that hc is
Coercitivity of the magnet?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Best Regards,

Pei