[Getdp] calculate magnetic forces?

Pei-Ying Hsieh phsieh2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 22 02:42:16 CET 2007

Dear GetDP Group:

I searched the GetDP mailing archive (from 1998 - 2007) and saw several discussions about how to calculating magnetic forces under permanent magnets with no current.  But, I did not see any examples of how this should be done.  It will be appreciated if someone can post an example.

My current project involves Computational Fluid Dynamics.  Iron particles were suspended in fluid.  Each particle is about 2 micron-meter in diameter.  At some point in time, the iron particles were exposed to magnetic field induced by permanent magnets (no electric current).  The particles were then attracted toward the magnets. I would like to calculate the time needed for the particles to reach the magnets.  After receiving help from several kind people on the GetDP forum, I have computed the magnetic flux density and H using scalar potential (3-dimensional).  Does the magnetic forces also depend on the permeability of the particles too?

Someone has suggested Force = 1/mu0 * B x (curl B).  Does this has a unit of Newton?  How can this be done in post-processing?

Thanks!

Pei-Ying

Never miss an email again!