[Getdp] questions concerning parametrisation

Masi Koskinen masi.koskinen at tut.fi
Tue Aug 21 10:08:38 CEST 2007

Hello,

I'm a postgraduate student working at the institute of
electromagnetics (TUT). My current modelling task concerns creating a
3d-model of an inductor. I'm quite new to gmsh and getdp, so I have a
couple of questions. So far I have only used commercial softwares like
SolidWorks and FEMLAB but now my tutor Saku Suuriniemi is encouraging
me to acquint myself with gmsh and getdp.

The first challenge I've encountered is how to model the core of the
inductor so that it is easy to modify and without ending up writing
dozens of unnecessary lines. The core of the inductor is made of
identical pieces of iron separated with plastic disks that have the
same cross-sectional surface as the pieces of iron but varying
thickness. What would be the easiest way to parametrise such a
structure? Should I form the cross-section area once and extrude all
the pieces using it?

My second question concerns creating a model for getdp in general. Is
it possible to create pieces of a model in separate files and assemble
them in one main file? How does the numbering of points, lines etc. go
in that case?

Cheers,

Masi Koskinen