[Getdp] Eigenmodes of a dielectric structure

Pablo Bianucci pablo.bianucci at ualberta.ca
Thu Sep 18 07:03:26 CEST 2008

Hi to all!

I want to find optical resonances of dielectric structures (no metals, thus
no free charges around nor sources), particularly whispering gallery modes in
cylindrically symmetric structures.

It looks like getdp should be able to do that, but it will take quite an
investment of time for me to get familiar enough with it. Thus, I'd like to
make sure that it is indeed the case that I would be able to find out both
eigenvalues and eigenmodes in this particular situation (the part that confuses
me the most are the boundary conditions, in this case continuity of certain
field components).

I've seen some people use getdp to compute band structures of photonic
crystals, and that looks kind of similar so it makes me optimistic. But again,
I'd like to make sure. Besides, I would appreciate if anybody has an example
more directly related to my problem.

Thanks a lot!

Bye & Good Luck!

Pablo B.