[Getdp] 3D electromagnetic formulation

Dillon, John John.Dillon at maunsell.com
Mon Dec 1 06:42:40 CET 2008

Hello David,

I saw your message on the Getdp board.  Did you ever get anywhere with
this ?

I am looking for something that will let me model industrial frequency
systems (50 Hz and low multiples).  Radiation is negligible but i would
like to include inductive, capacitive, and resistive effects.  Typical
examples might be of the fields resulting from a fault on an overhead
powerline over a layered earth.  I have found lots of free linux codes
for problems that seem much harder (compressible navier stokes fluids,
diesel engine combustion,...).  I've also found quite a few electric- OR
magnetic- field solvers (fields around a capacitor at fixed voltage, or
around an inductor at fixed current)...This makes me wonder whether the
coupled (electromagnetic) problem is problematic.

John Dillon |

Maunsell AECOM
3 Forrest Place, Perth Western Australia 6000
GPO Box 59, Perth Western Australia 6849
P +61 (0)8 6430 2309  F +61 (0)8 6430 2999
E  john.dillon at maunsell.com <mailto:roze.maravillas at maunsell.com>
W www.maunsell.com <http://www.maunsell.com/>

Buildings | Environment, Water & Civil Infrastructure | Minerals &
Industry | Power & Energy | Transport

Maunsell AECOM has an active green office program.  Please consider the
environment before printing.