[Getdp] ... coupled differential system in volumes and linear system on surfaces ...

Matt Koch mattkoch at scitex.us
Wed Sep 16 05:55:18 CEST 2009

Hi All,

trying to solve a heat equation problem. The problem setup itself is
straight forward. However, my boundary conditions (heat flux) are the
result of solving a linear system of equations, rather than being
constants. So in addition to solving a system of differential equations
in weak form in volumes, I will need to solve a simple system of linear
equations on surfaces (not sure if it needs to be in the weak form?).
Does anyone have a clue as to how to start? Do I need to put the linear
system in weak form? Is this akin to solving a coupled physics problem?
Do I have to set up a FunctionSpace in the volumes for the differential
equations and a FunctionSpace on the surfaces for the linear equations?
How can I "transfer" the results from the linear equations to serve as
the boundary conditions for the differential equations? Any thoughts are
appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt Koch, Ph.D., P.E.
Science & Technology Consultants (SciTeX)
www.scitex.us
mattkoch at scitex.us
(830)-249-9499 (o)
(830)-446-1839 (c)