[Getdp] ... RadiativeHeatTransfer Wiki ...

Kubicek Bernhard Bernhard.Kubicek at ait.ac.at
Thu Oct 1 09:35:19 CEST 2009

As i did quite some things with radiation modelling, I have some remarks, that you might or might not find interessting:
1) It should be very easy to use P1 radiation model in getdp. Basically its just a heat-conduction equation with source terms prop T^4, adiabatic walls are flux zero, absorbing walls are value zero. I really think that P1 could give nice results in your case.
2) We did once a comparison of the heat transfer between opposed faces, where we, for each face, averaged Temperature and then used this Temperature for the radiation exchange using manually calculated view factors. This fails dramatically, if the temperature is un-evenly distributed over the surfaces. Of course, it would be better to average the T^4 for that.
However, a full surface to surface (S2S) calculation was more physical in our cases:
* W. Hribernik, G. Brauner, C. Faltin, B. Kubicek, F. Musai, A simulation-based methodology for high-current heat-run testing of distribution system components, 20 International Conference on Electricity Distribution, CIRED, Prage June 2009.
* B. Kubicek, W. Hribernik, G. Brauner, C. Faltin, F. Musai, B. Semlitsch and M. Popovac, CFD analysis of the turbulent flow field and thermal behavior of high-current electric switchgear, 6th International Symposium on Turbulence, Heat and Mass Transfer, THMT Rome, 2009
3) Maybe I misread your pro file, but it seems you also use this t^4 average. However, i think you to neglect the environmental temperature that is visible under a configuration factor (1-CfgKnl[]).
4) We are currently working on an spectral ray/pathtracing radiation model that is coupled with computational fluid dynamics.

nice greetings,
 bernhard

-----------------------------------
Bernhard Kubicek
Energy Department
Electric Energy Systems

Bitte beachten Sie unsere neuen Kontaktdaten!
Please note our new contact details!

AIT Austrian Institute of Technology
Österreichisches Forschungs- und Prüfzentrum Arsenal Ges.m.b.H.
Giefinggasse 2 | 1210 Vienna | Austria
T +43(0) 50550-6258 | M +43(0) 664 6207748

bernhard.kubicek at ait.ac.at | http://www.ait.ac.at