[Getdp] Launching GetDP from another program

John_V jvillar.john at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 20:25:37 CET 2010

Has anyone successfully launched GetDP from another program?

I have a Java program that writes problem specification files for GetDP and
then attempts to launch it. I don't understand GetDP's ""Missing number""
error message.

Here's the SHORT VERSION of my story. GetD itself reports:

Running 'getdp_sparskit sample -pre EleSta_v -cal'
Info    : Started on Fri Nov 26 13:29:57 2010

Then it produces error output as follows:

Error   : Missing number

Does anyone know what is the "Missing number" to which GetDP is referring?
The reported command, 'getdp_sparskit sample -pre EleSta_v -cal', does run
properly if I type it manually at a DOS prompt or put it in a batch file.
(getdp_sparskit is my renamed getdp executable after compiling with the
sparskit library.)

If instead I change the command line to 'getdp_sparskit sample -pre EleSta_v
-cal 1>output.txt 2>errout.txt' there is more progress before it fails. I
get the following normal output followed by error message:

Info    : Started on Fri Nov 26 13:28:24 2010
Info    : Unknown option: '2>errout.txt'
Info    : Loading problem definition 'sample.pro'
Info    : Loading problem definition 'Jacobian_Lib.pro'
Info    : Loading problem definition 'Integration_Lib.pro'
Info    : Loading problem definition 'EleSta_v.pro'
Info    : Selected Resolution 'EleSta_v'
Info    : Loaded Geometric data 'sample.msh'
Info    : System 'Sys_Ele' : Real
P r e - P r o c e s s i n g . . .
Info    : Loding Pre-Processing data 'sample.pre'
Info    : (CPU = 10.4375s)
E n d   P r e - P r o c e s s i n g
P r o c e s s i n g . . .
Info    : Generate[Sys_Ele]
Info    : Loading parameter file 'solver.par'
Error   : Unknown solver parameter 'pre EleSta_v'

The solver.par file in my working directory works OK when I run from the
command line, and it does not contain the characters EleSta_v, so this error
message is also mysterious.

I would appreciate any insights.

John

DETAILED VERSION. Below is one version of the code I use to launch GetDP
from my Java program and the resulting output. (I wrote a second version,
using Java's ProcessBuilder class in hopes of seeing a different result, but
the output was identical.)

My Java code:
         String[] command = new String[] {
            "getdp_sparskit",
            "sample",
            "-pre EleSta_v",
            "-cal"
         };

         Runtime runtime = Runtime.getRuntime();
         Process child = runtime.exec(command, null, new File(feaFolder));
/* feaFolder is working directory with sample.pro, etc.*/
         InputStream is = child.getInputStream();
         InputStreamReader isr = new InputStreamReader(is);
         BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(isr);
         BufferedReader brErr = new BufferedReader(new
InputStreamReader(child.getErrorStream()));
         String line;

         System.out.printf("Output of running %s is:",
             Arrays.toString(command));

         while ((line = br.readLine()) != null) {
           System.out.println(line);
         }

         System.out.printf("Error output of running %s is:",
Arrays.toString(command));

         while((line = brErr.readLine()) != null) {
            System.out.println(line);
         }

         int exitVal = child.waitFor();

The exitVal = 1 indicates a not-normal exit.

Output and error message:
Output of running [getdp_sparskit, sample, -pre EleSta_v, -cal] is:
Info    : Running 'getdp_sparskit sample -pre EleSta_v -cal'
Info    : Started on Fri Nov 26 13:29:57 2010
Error output of running [getdp_sparskit, sample, -pre EleSta_v, -cal]
is:Error   : Missing number

The longer, more successful message reported above resulted from changing
the definition of command to
         String[] command = new String[] {
            "getdp_sparskit",
            "sample",