[Getdp] Time-dependent non-linear problem and time derivatives

Velasco Alvarado Jonathan jonathan.velasco at aalto.fi
Fri Oct 12 15:28:48 CEST 2012

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a time-dependent non-linear magnetodynamic case. The permeability is my non-linear term but I don't want it to be included in my calculations for simplicity. For this reason, I am using the flux density instead of permeability times field strength (B = mu*H). I am currently using this formulation (T-ohm) and it seems to work:

Galerkin { Dt[ mu_non[{H}]*Dof{H}                ,  {H}] ; In Stack    ; Jacobian JMat ; Integration GaussIntegration ; }
     Galerkin { [ 1/sig[]* Dof{Curl H}        , {Curl H}] ; In Stack    ; Jacobian JMat ; Integration GaussIntegration ; }

However, if I substitute B into my equation:

Galerkin { Dt[ B[Dof{H}] , {H}] ; In Stack ; Jacobian JMat ; Integration GaussIntegration ; }
Galerkin { [ 1/sig[* Dof{Curl H} , {Curl H}] ; In Stack ; Jacobian JMat ; Integration GaussIntegration ; }

It doesn't seem to do anything. I was wondering if there is a way to take the time derivative of my non-linear term in terms of a magnetic flux density as shown above.

BR,

John