[Getdp] Starting / ending point & orientation of cohomology cuts

DILASSER Guillaume Guillaume.DILASSER at cea.fr
Thu Jan 14 10:03:40 CET 2016

Hello everyone,

I am writing to inquire for advice on the use of the cohomology function in GetDP.

The system I am trying to simulated is a superconducting single-pancake coil. To simplify it, I made an asymmetrical model where the single-pancake (which is in reality a conductor wound in spiral) is replaced by a set of concentric tori. In this configuration I am looking for a way to enforce current constraints so that the same total current flows through the cross section of each torus. I am planning to do it using the cohomology function one of the following ways (but as I am not particularly sure I understood perfectly that function, I may be doing something wrong). If someone knows well how it works, I would appreciate some advice on the method and the way to implement it.

·         As my air surface has Nturns (number of turns) holes, I will need Nturns cuts to control the current in each tape. The first way I imagine I can do this is depicted on the enclosed figure with the green cuts. The first cut goes from one edge of the air enclosure to the first turn, then each subsequent cut goes from turnn-1 to turnn.  For constraints, I use for cut i :  Iturn * ( Nturns - i + 1 ).

·         My other idea is to make each cut to start from the enclosure and finish on one cut (the red dotted lines on the figure). With this solution I think that enforcing current constraints become easier : I just have to set each current constraints to Iturn.

Anyway, my problem is that, for both solutions, I need to have precise control on the starting / ending point of each cut and its orientation. So my questions are :

·         Is it possible to specify where a cut should start and end ? (maybe thought the second brackets of the Cohomology function ?) Or is it possible to tell it afterwards once it has been made ?

·         Can I force the cuts to have the same orientation ? Or, again, deduce the orientation once it has been made ?

I would really appreciate your help. At least, if someone familiar with the source code could tell me where to look for the implementation of the Cohomology function, that would be an useful start.

Faithfully yours,

Guillaume DILASSER
Doctorant SACM / LEAS
CEA - Centre de Saclay - Bât.123 - PC 319c
91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex - France -

guillaume.dilasser at cea.fr<mailto:guillaume.dilasser at cea.fr>