[Getdp] Moving Conducting Magnet

Jasper funkybob at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 16:12:49 CEST 2016

Hi everybody,

I am trying to simulate the eddy currents in a system of moving and
conducting permanent magnets. I took the 2D Magnetodynamic formulation and
added the two terms for the velocity component according to this paper:

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=123895

This appears to give reasonable results for a static permanent magnet and
moving conductor. But if I have a moving permanent magnet it seems like
eddy-currents are also generated from its own magnetic field which should
not be the case I think.

I've attached an my formulation with a single moving magnet.

Does anybody have an idea how to account for this? Any reference to a paper
discussing this would also be appreciated.

Best regards,

Jasper