[Getdp] Antwort: Re: zip getdp solution files

m.schoening at e-und-a.ch m.schoening at e-und-a.ch
Fri Dec 16 07:03:56 CET 2016

Hi,

thanks for the information and you are right, there is as binary format in
getdp. In my tests, it reduces the file size to around 70% (perhaps, I did
something wrong, I am speaking of element solution files) of the orignal
value (it saves 30% traffic) and you are right, gmsh is able to handle
this binary files. I would be happy, if the file size can be reduced even
more.

For example, trying "gzip -6" reduced the file size to around 20% (this
saves 80% of the traffic) of the original value and several other
languages (e.g. python) are able to handle this file format out of the
box, so individual post processing procedures on getdp solution files can
be adapted with minimal effort.

Gmsh is able to read gzipped solution files, but not out of the box. Gmsh
extracts the files on the hard disk (not in memory), so you have to clean
the working directory manually afterwards.

Best regards,

ppa. Marc C. Schöning
Dr.-Ing.
Leiter Forschung & Entwicklung / Head of R&D
Mitglied der Geschäftsleitung / Member of the Management
e+a
Elektromaschinen und Antriebe AG
Bachstrasse 10
4313 Moehlin
SWITZERLAND
Phone +41 61 855 92 92
Fax +41 61 855 92 99
Mail m.schoening at e-und-a.ch

http://www.e-und-a.ch

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This communication and the information it contains is
intended for the person(s) or organisation(s) named
above and no other person(s) or organisation(s) and
may be confidential, legally privileged and protected
by law. Unauthorised use, copying or disclosure of any
of it may be unlawful. If you have received this
communication in error, please contact us immediately
by email, telephone or facsimile. We will be happy to
accept a reversed charge call (call collect).

"getdp" <getdp-bounces at ace20.montefiore.ulg.ac.be> schrieb am 15.12.2016
22:15:54:

> Von: David Colignon <david.colignon at ulg.ac.be>
> An: m.schoening at e-und-a.ch, getdp at onelab.info
> Datum: 15.12.2016 22:16
> Betreff: Re: [Getdp] zip getdp solution files
> Gesendet von: "getdp" <getdp-bounces at ace20.montefiore.ulg.ac.be>
>

> On 15/12/16 14:02, m.schoening at e-und-a.ch wrote:
>
> > Dear List,
> >
> > is there a "build in" way to work with zipped solution and mesh
> files instead of the "standard" text files? I experience performance
issues
> > running getdp on several cluster nodes, which all write their
> results on the same nfs network share.
> >
> > Additionally, it would be very helpfull, if gmsh could read such
> zipped or binary files directly for postprocessing.
>

> Hi,
>
> ace35:~ > ./getdp/BUILD/getdp --help
>
> GetDP, a General environment for the treatment of Discrete Problems
> Copyright (C) 1997-2016 P. Dular and C. Geuzaine, University of Liege
> Usage: ./getdp/BUILD/getdp [file] [options]
> Processing options:
>    -pre 'Resolution'         pre-processing
>    -cal                      processing
>    -pos 'PostOperation(s)'   post-processing
>    -msh file                 read mesh (in msh format) from file
>    -gmshread file(s)         read gmsh data (same as GmshRead in
resolution)
>    -gmshtag tag(s)           tag(s) associated to GmshRead data
>    -restart                  resume processing from where it stopped
>    -solve 'Resolution'       same as -pre 'Resolution' -cal
>    -split                    save processing results in separate files
>    -res file(s)              load processing results from file(s)
>    -name string              use string as generic file name
>    -adapt file               read adaptation constraints from file
>    -order num                restrict maximum interpolation order
>    -cache                    cache network computations to disk
> Linear solver options:
>    -solver file              specify parameter file (default:
solver.par)