[Getdp] Infinite shell transformations

Yury Shkliaryk shkliaryk.yu.n at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 22:06:19 CET 2017

Dear All,

I try to solve some problems for Laplace equation with open boundary, so I
need to set zero boundary condition on infinity. I tried to use
VolAxiRectShell to resolve this issue but I see unexpected potential
distribution near inner boundaries of rectangular shells.

I attached my scripts and plot of iso-lines of solution. In this example
Laplace equation for conductive circular 2D disk was solved using axial
symmetry. Behavior of iso-lines in non-transformed area near inner
boundaries of shells is strange. Iso-lines seem to be "attracted" to the
border. Could you please check what's wrong?

In general, it's not clear how to use *shell transformations and what do
some arguments stand for. I didn't find any details in getDP documentation.
I found only one related article: "Finite element modeling of unbounded
problems using transformations: A rigorous, powerful and easy solution".
Looks like the described transformations are implemented in getDP but I
can't be sure that they are implemented in exactly same way (for example,
I'm not sure that center-X, center-Y, center-Z are coordinates of
transformation center described in the article). Also I want to solve
multidomain problem for Laplace equation but I need to know formulas of
these transformations to adjust geometry of surfaces which separate domains
in areas of shells.
Could somebody please update documentation to make information about shell
transformations more clear?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Yury