[Getdp] Permanent magnet in GetDP

gilles quemener quemener at lpccaen.in2p3.fr
Wed Aug 9 10:21:31 CEST 2017

Hi,

When simulating permanent NdFeB magnets in a homemade BEM program, I use a permeability of 1.05 and a remanent magnetization/field
depending on the magnet grade as given for instance in the following table :

Minimum Values
Grade Br Hc (Hcb) Hci (Hcj) BHmax
(T) (kA/m) (kA/m) (kJ/m³)
N27 1.030 796 955 199
N30 1.080 796 955 223
N33 1.130 836 955 247
N35 1.170 867 955 263
N38 1.210 899 955 287
N40 1.240 923 955 302
N42 1.280 923 955 318
N45 1.320 875 955 342
N48 1.380 836 875 366
N50 1.400 796 875 382
N52 1.430 796 875 398

Looking closer to the magnet.xxx files in the GetDP demos folder, I cannot figure out how the
remanent magnetization is taken into account as only Hc seems to be used in the material definition.
I would think that both Hc and Br should be used.
How would one distinguish between N40 and N42 grades which have the same Hc values ? How the fact
that an N50 magnet has a larger remanent field than an N40 one is accounted for in GetDP when
Hc(N50) is smaller than Hc(N40) and equal to Hc(N27) ?

Thanks a lot for any hints,

Gilles