[Getdp] Stormer equation

Majed Jawad majed at spacetalos.com
Tue Jun 25 13:28:14 CEST 2019

Dear all,

I would like to start by thanking all the contributors to getdp. I really
like ONELAB and the flexibility that it offers.

I'm trying to combine the example of the magnet from ONELAB (magnets.geo
and .pro) with an ionized particles motion. This is known as the Stormer
equation. I want to achieve figure 1 from
https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Stormer-theory-applied-to-magnetic-spacecraft-Shepherd-Kress/4e7e3f920a0eb445c18b5a209596dd4cab13f2ad
but with more exotic magnets geometries.

I can easily implement the equation in Python, see Stormer.py, but I am not
too sure how to import and use the magnetic field calculated from
magnets.pro

Alternatively, I tried to implement the Stormer equation directly into
getdp by creating a few points (i.e. the particles) and a timelooptheta in
the resolution section. This has the advantage that we can mesh at every
time step at or around the particle's position. However, getdp tells me
that DofData 0 is empty after step 2 of the loop, see modified magnets.geo
and magnets.pro
Can someone explain to me this error and how to fix it?

I would also very much appreciate any advice of which approach, python or
directly within getdp, is the best.

--
Best wishes,

Majed