[Gmsh] Gmsh: problems with flat tetrahedra

Thomas Huld thomas.huld at jrc.it
Thu Dec 6 12:10:53 CET 2001

Hello,

I've been trying to use gmsh to construct 3D tetrahedral grids for our
CFD work. I have run into considerable problems due to the creation of
very flat tetrahedra when producing grids for complex geometries. Most
of the
flat tetrahedra are rather envelope-shaped. If you are interested, I
can send a .geo file which will produce this effect.

This mucks up my calculations due to instabilities.

I'm aware that the 3D grid generator is still experimental, but
nevertheless I would like to ask if there exists a sort of
workaround for this. Or is it foreseen that the problem will
be tackled in the near future?

Otherwise I must say that the software looks very nice. I actually
used it for a number of grids, but most of them have proven to be not
really that useful due to this problem :-(.

TIA for any answer

Thomas

Thomas Huld
Joint Research Centre of the European Commission
T.P. 450
I-21023 Ispra
Italy
phone: +39 0332785273