[Gmsh] Time-Dependent Cuts

Radek Pecher radek.pecher at eng.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 20 15:32:17 CET 2003

Dear Gmsh authors,

First of all, I would like to thank you for making Gmsh publicly
available - it truly is an excellent free software!

1. My main question to you stems from my need for visualising
time-dependent fields at various cut-planes through the domain of
interest. If I am using the default plugins correctly, it appears that
the cut-plugins presently do not process time-dependent fields, as
opposed to the skin-plugin which does. Here is my example code:

// ----------------------------------------------
View "test" { SS(0,0,0, 1,0,0, 0,1,0, 0,0,1) {1,2,2,2, 2,3,3,3,
3,4,4,4}; };

Plugin(CutMap).A = 1.27;
Plugin(CutMap).Run ;

Plugin(CutPlane).A = 1;
Plugin(CutPlane).B = 0;
Plugin(CutPlane).C = 0;
Plugin(CutPlane).D = -0.1;
Plugin(CutPlane).Run;

Plugin(Skin).Run;
// ----------------------------------------------

In case there is no easy fix for this, I would like to kindly ask you
whether you would be willing to provide me with a partial source code of
these default plugins, so that I could improve the capability of the
cut-plugins according to the skin-plugin. I would be happy to send you
then back the extended plugins' codes as updates for the new Gmsh
version, in case you were interested.

2. My second, less important question, is the following: Is it just my
Cygwin-based installation or you cannot see the cell-centred arrow
either?

// ----------------------------------------------
View "test"
{
  VT(-1.38142, 0.680203, -0.969318, 0.694375, 1.79726, -0.255058,
1.86376, 0.341392, 0.560109)
    {0.404305, -0.177619, -0.897212, 0.404305, -0.177619, -0.897212,
0.404305, -0.177619, -0.897212};
};
// ----------------------------------------------

If I visualise this vector triangle, it properly shows three arrows at
the vertices, however no arrow whatsoever in the centre of the
triangle... (My options are not too different from the default ones.)
Any ideas?

Thank you very much.

Radek

PS: Christophe, please allow me to further support my request for the
plugins' source code by referring to my friend, Philippe Vanderbemden,
from the Montefiore Institute of the University of Liège, who is
involved in our research project (3D modelling of high-Tc
superconductors) at the Oxford University. The visualisation of the
time-dependent cuts is crucial for our joined research, for which we've
chosen your Gmsh as the main mesher and postprocessor (with the official
thanks due in our research papers by the end of the project).

Dr. Radek Pecher
Research Assistant
Department of Engineering Science
University of Oxford