[Gmsh] command line option

Christophe Geuzaine geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu
Mon Jul 7 08:09:35 CEST 2003

Christophe Geuzaine wrote:
> Lin Ji wrote:
>
>>It is the default shell I get after I installed Cygwin. I then opened a
>>tcsh from within this shell, I still could not get the processing message.
>>The shell works fine with getdp.
>

> Weird... I'll have to try the next time I have access to a Windows
> machine. What happens if you recompile Gmsh from the sources?

OK, apparently it's one of these nice Windows "features". If you compile
a program with '-mwindows' (to get rid of the DOS shell window in
interactive mode), you can't write to the DOS shell at all...

Two solutions:

1) recompile Gmsh without '-mwindows' (edit the 'variables' file for this);

2) stop using the DOS terminal, and use a more capable one like rxvt.
You can either launch 'rxvt.exe' by hand from the DOS shell, or put
something like the following in the 'cygwin.bat' script:

C:
chdir C:\cygwin\bin
rxvt -sl 2000 -fn "Courier-new" -geometry 90x40 -e ./bash --login -i

(Note that rxvt provides many other advantages over the regular DOS
terminal, like cut and paste with the mouse, no stupid size or scrolling
limitations, etc.)

Hope this helps,

Christophe