[Gmsh] Re: Using gmsh interactively to draw shapes

Christophe Geuzaine c.geuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Sun Oct 26 17:32:05 CET 2003

Jide Ogunjobi wrote:

> Hi,
> I contacted you earlier.
> I haven't been able to solve the problem yet.
>
> I went this way:
>
> Geometry - Elementary - Add - New - :
>
>  and then l couldn't go further.
>
> Please, you could send to me a simple shape, and the
> step by step instruction on how to draw it
> interactively.

1) Select Geometry->Elementary->Add->New->Point
2) Enter the coordinates in the dialog box and press "Add"
3) Repeat with different coordinates
4) Select "Straight Line" (the button below "Point" in the
   Geometry->Elementary->Add->New menu)
5) Select the start and end points in the graphic window
6) That's it: you've just created your first line :-)

It's exactly the same for surfaces (you select the bounding lines) and
volumes (you select the bounding surfaces). Always have a look at the
messages in the bottom right part of the graphic window: they tell you
in which state the program is, if you need to select an entity, etc.

Christophe A. Geuzaine
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Caltech
geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu - http://geuz.org