[Gmsh] Big PostProcessing

Christophe Geuzaine geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu
Sun Nov 23 07:30:31 CET 2003

Nicolas Tardieu wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I have to visualize a  big postprocessing and then Gmsh becomes
> very slow... I would like to apply the Skin Plugin directly on the view once
> loaded... I tried :
>
> gmsh  -string "Plugin(Skin).iView=0; Plugin(Skin).Run;"  view3.pos
>
> But Gmsh tells me "View[0] does not exist" and indeed it is not loaded yet!

Yes, that was the design goal for '-string' (to provide a way to tell
something to the parser before any file is read).

> Then... How to do that?

Just write a small script in a file that you merge after the view. For
example, to draw the skin but never draw the other view, you could do

gmsh -noview view3.pos skin.script

where 'skin.script' contains

Plugin(Skin).iView = 0;
Plugin(Skin).Run;
Delete View[0];
View[0].Visible = 1;

There are other variants that you may prefer: you could produce the
view in batch mode with 'gmsh -0' and save it in a file; you could use
the '-string' option to disable the visibility of certain views only, etc.

Note that we've just released Gmsh 1.48, which enhances many of the
default plugins quite a bit. New in 1.48 is also the ability to save
post-processing views in a script with the 'Save View[num] "file"'
command. This permits to apply all the plugins in batch mode, or even
with the non-graphical version of Gmsh, and save the resulting files
for later interactive use.

Christophe A. Geuzaine
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Caltech
geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu - http://geuz.org