[Gmsh] mesh format converters

Joe Koski jkoski11 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 14 17:35:48 CEST 2004

on 4/14/04 8:44 AM, Christophe Geuzaine at geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu wrote:

> Jose Miguel Pasini wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to use gmsh to generate the mesh for a fluid dynamics code.
>> The code reads meshes in the following formats:   avs, avs-ucd, ucd, ngp,
>> ngp-hex, ideas, i-deas, patran, patran-n, ansys, fidap, fdi, topaz,
>> topaz2d, topaz3d, exodus, and genesis.
>>
>> I will probably have to write a format converter from msh to one of these,
>> but I wanted to check before whether an appropriate converter exists already.
>>

> You can try "File->Save as->I-DEAS universal mesh format".

I realize that it's not a main focus of the GMSH effort, but is there a list
of available translators somewhere? For example, if I could find an existing
Topaz2D/Topaz3D translator, it would save me the effort of writing my own
version some day.

Keeping those translators updated is potentially as big a task as keeping
track of GMSH, so I suspect that making some translators available "as is"
in source code only would be acceptable to many GMSH users. Perhaps a new
discussion list could be considered to separate GMSH development from this
important area.

Joe Koski