[Gmsh] Tetrahedrization routines in Gmsh

Christophe Geuzaine geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu
Tue Apr 27 20:05:58 CEST 2004

Mattias Liefvendahl wrote:

> Dear Dr. Geuzaine,
> I am working in mesh generation, more specifically
> moving grids, and am looking for open software for
> tetrahedrization (I am also considering e.g, DIAMESH.
> NETGEN and T3d).
>
> I have downloaded Gmsh and have played a little with the tutorials.
>
> Do you think it would be practical take some of the algorithms
> (tetrahedrazation in particular) in Gmsh and incorporate
> into other software (with due credits and references, of course).
> Or maybe you have intended Gmsh to be used in its entirety,
> seeing that there seem to be no documentation available on the
> construction of the program, and few comments in the code.

The 3D algorithm depends quite a bit on the CAD structures used in Gmsh,
so it will probably take some work to extract a stand alone version. But
feel free to do so, of course. You can use the code any way you want, as
long as you comply with the terms of the GNU General Public license.

> In short, I am looking for something like Shewchuk's TRIANGLE,
> but in 3D.

Have a look at tetgen: http://tetgen.berlios.de/

Best,

Christophe Geuzaine
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Caltech
geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu - http://geuz.org