[Gmsh] using gui

Magdalena Stolarska stolarsk at math.umn.edu
Thu May 27 03:32:42 CEST 2004

Thanks to both of you for your response.

To Joe Koski:  Actually, you can build the whole geometry using the GUI.
What you do is the following.  When you open up gmsh, you can pick between
geometry, mesh, solver, and post-processing.  To create a geometry, you
choose 'geometry' (which seems to be the default when you open gmsh), and
then to add a new entity such as a point or line or volume, etc, you pick
'Elementary', then 'Add', then 'New'.  After that you have a whole list of
geometrical entities to choose from.  Setting up most of the new entities
is pretty intuitive.  What was unclear to me is that after you pick the
lines bounding your plane surface you have to press 'q' (for quit, I
guess), and this is how gmsh knows that you are done setting up the line
loop for a plane surface.  Once you are done setting up your geometry, you
can save it as a *.geo file, which means that gmsh generates the script
that you mentioned below.  I just started playing around with the gui
today, so this is basically all I know of its features.  However, it is
already clear to me how useful it is, not to mention _so_ much easier than
writing out your own geometry file, especially for complicated geometries.

-MS