[Gmsh] using gui

Joe Koski jkoski11 at comcast.net
Thu May 27 04:45:54 CEST 2004

on 5/26/04 7:32 PM, Magdalena Stolarska at stolarsk at math.umn.edu wrote:

> Thanks to both of you for your response.
>
> To Joe Koski:  Actually, you can build the whole geometry using the GUI.
> What you do is the following.  When you open up gmsh, you can pick between
> geometry, mesh, solver, and post-processing.  To create a geometry, you
> choose 'geometry' (which seems to be the default when you open gmsh), and
> then to add a new entity such as a point or line or volume, etc, you pick
> 'Elementary', then 'Add', then 'New'.  After that you have a whole list of
> geometrical entities to choose from.  Setting up most of the new entities
> is pretty intuitive.  What was unclear to me is that after you pick the
> lines bounding your plane surface you have to press 'q' (for quit, I
> guess), and this is how gmsh knows that you are done setting up the line
> loop for a plane surface.  Once you are done setting up your geometry, you
> can save it as a *.geo file, which means that gmsh generates the script
> that you mentioned below.  I just started playing around with the gui
> today, so this is basically all I know of its features.  However, it is
> already clear to me how useful it is, not to mention _so_ much easier than
> writing out your own geometry file, especially for complicated geometries.
>
> -MS

Thanks Magdalena, you have answered the question that I had when I first saw
GMSH months ago. I never would have guessed to pick "elementary" as the
first step in creating a new point. I have tried it and successfully created
a square 1 x 1 loop without problems. My apologies for the comment. I guess
I just needed to seriously try the tutorials, not just play with the .geo
files.

Joe Koski