[Gmsh] Transparency

Christophe Geuzaine c.geuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Mon Jan 24 17:56:38 CET 2005

Nicolas TARDIEU wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have several questions about transparency :
>
> - when I was a kid, I remember that Gmsh allowed GUI view-per-view
> treatment of transparency... Is it still possible? How to make a view
> become transparent?

Hello Nicolas - In the GUI, go the view colormap option and press A (or
Ctrl+A) to change the alpha channel and/or P (or Ctrl+P) to modify its
curvature. You can also directly draw the alpha channel by pressing Ctrl
while dragging the mouse.

In a script, you can use 4 components in colormap colors (the 4th is the
alpha value), and/or use the View.ColormapAlpha and
View.ColormapAlphaPower options.

> - would it be complicated to introduce transparency in mesh display?
> Are you interested in it?

It would be complicated, because we draw the meshes per surface (and not
"all at once"), which makes global sorting problematic... At the moment,
I would thus recommend using the post-processing module to draw
transparent meshes (by using the "Show element edges" option).

Take care,

Christophe Geuzaine
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Caltech
geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu - http://geuz.org