[Gmsh] Mesh with a background mesh

Marc Duflot marc.duflot at cenaero.be
Tue Aug 30 13:06:12 CEST 2005

Hello,

I have some problems when I try to mesh a geometry with a hole, with a
background mesh for the elements size.

I attach some files that show the problems. cylpart.geo is the geometry
I use to make a first mesh cylpart.msh. OptimalSize.pos defines the
wished element sizes on this first mesh. Then, I try to mesh the
geometry with

    gmsh -2 -bgm OptimalSize.pos -o cylpart2.msh cylpart.geo

(only surface mesh for now). It fails with a lot a warnings:

    Warning : Characteristic length <= 0: setting to 1.0

It seems that some points fall outside the first mesh.

If I add a big tet at the end of OptimalSize.pos that covers the whole
geometry

    SS (-100,-100,-100,500,-100,-100,-100,500,-100,-100,-100,500)
       {1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0};

then it succeeds but the resulting mesh is ugly because for sometimes
the small size of OptimalSize is used and sometimes the default value
1.0 is used.

Any hints?

Marc

--