[Gmsh] Simple console question

Joseph D Brunett jbrunett at eecs.umich.edu
Sun Sep 25 06:32:40 CEST 2005

I am currently using the precompiled gmsh.exe version 1.60.1 on a Windows XP
SP2 machine.  In the interactive and non-interactive modes the software
works very well (very nice!).

However, I am unable to get any output at the command prompt from the
executable.  For example "gmsh -help" does not return any of the help
information and Options->General->Output->"Print messages on terminal" does
not result in output at an XP command prompt during execution.

I expect this is some type of Windows XP issue, but I have yet to determine
its cause.  Does anyone out there know what must be done to obtain
console/terminal output?

Also, I don't suppose it is possible to write text to a file (say Fprinf)
from within the .geo scripting language, rather than using the Printf or
System call to the console?

I am using a number of translations/rotations of preexisting facets, and
want to be able to create a file that tracks these changes with direct
references to the numbering scheme in the msh file.  The unrolled geometry
file contains the automatic numbering, but loses the "heritage" information.
So, I'm hoping to write it to the console as the file runs and store that to
a file.

Thanks!

JDB