[Gmsh] create partitions

Christophe Geuzaine cag32 at case.edu
Tue Nov 29 15:09:54 CET 2005

david free wrote:
> Hello,
> I discovered gmsh and tried to make use it for my students and collegues
> since two years. I'm using gmsh with a multiscale solver written in C++.
> Until nom I assigned physical entities for each sub-domains and
> interfaces that I wanted and created manually a file containing a tag
> for materials.
> I read tutorials and I saw that in the 2.0 version of the msh files, it
> is possible to use partition and sort it in the msh file. Using these
> partitions should be very interestiong for me because I will apply
> physical entities for materials and partitions for sub-domains.
> Can you explain me how to create these partitions in the gmsh.1.61.0
> version under linux.

The general idea is that you should partition your mesh using your own
tools: the new file format just allows you to keep track and visualize
these partitions in an easy way.

Now version 1.61 also includes very preliminary support for partitioning
a mesh directly with gmsh from the command line with the "-partition"
flag (e.g. "gmsh tutorial/t1.geo -2 -partition 16"). But beware that
this feature is undocumented, unsupported, and still buggy.