[Gmsh] Unable to mesh layered sphere with netgen algorithm

Julian Swartz swartzjp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 15:28:26 CET 2006

Hi,

I would like to use the NETGEN algorithm to mesh a layered sphere (.geo file
attached). It is stated that all surface normals need to be outwardly
directed in order for the NETGEN algorithm to work. The layered spheres are
built by extruding semicircles in such a way that both the sphere and the
outer layer consist of three volumes. I can ensure that the normals of the
sphere outer surfaces are outward pointing by extruding in the direction of
-theta. How should I treat the surfaces bounding the sides of the three
segments making up the sphere? The concept of an outwardly directed normal
seems to lose meaning here and thusfar all attempts to mesh the domain with
NETGEN has resulted in gmsh crashing.

Any ideas?

Julian