[Gmsh] pyramid elements

Pei-Ying Hsieh pei-ying.hsieh.b at bayer.com
Thu May 18 18:51:17 CEST 2006

Dear GMSH experts:

I promise that once I have learned more about gmsh, I will stop asking
stupid question.

When is pyramid element generated (or how is it generated)?

I am exploring the possiblity of hybrid mesh.  The geometry will be
divided into several pieces so that majority of the volumes can be meshes
with Hex elements (structured mesh).  The few irregular volumes that
cannot be meshed with structured mesh (Hex elements), I am hoping to mesh
it with Tet elements, but, how to transition from Hex elements to Tet
elements?  Pyramids seem like a great choice, but, how is this done?

I made one volume, meshed one surface of the volume with structured mesh,
that is all quad elements.  There were no special treatment on the other 5
surfaces, so, Triangles were generated.  When I went ahead and mesh the
volume, I did not see any 3D elements (tet or hex or pyramid or prism).
Only those 2D elements on the surface were generated.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Pei

The information contained in this e-mail is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) and may be confidential, proprietary, and/or legally privileged.  Inadvertent disclosure of this message does not constitute a waiver of any privilege.  If you receive this message in error, please do not directly or indirectly use, print, copy, forward, or disclose any part of this message.  Please also delete this e-mail and all copies and notify the sender.  Thank you.

For alternate languages please go to http://bayerdisclaimer.bayerweb.com