[Gmsh] Second Order Elements on Curved Surfaces

Jacques Kools jacques.kools at insilicio.com
Fri May 19 17:28:53 CEST 2006

Hallo Christophe,

Hope you are doing fine. I had a question about generating second order
triangles on curved surfaces (something like sphere.geo in the demo section
is perfect to demonstrate). I noted that the mid-edge nodes are located on
the geometrical surface rather than on the triangles, i.e. they are not
really mid-edge. If you then do a 3D mesh, you get tets that are not really
tets near the surface. I hope I make myself clear.

I understand that this is a desirable feature for some people, but for the
particular application we have in mind, we would rather have higher order
tets and tris where the mid-edge points are really halfway between the
vertices. Would it be possible to have the option to generate such elements?
Don't worry if it is too much of a hassle, it would be quite easy for us to
generate the additional points when reading the mesh.

I also noted that applying "optimize quality" on a  second order mesh
generates again a first order mesh.

Hope this is useful,

Jacques Kools