[Gmsh] File size limit in gmsh?

Christophe Trophime christophe.trophime at grenoble.cnrs.fr
Tue Oct 10 08:55:40 CEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 19:21 -0400, Christophe Geuzaine wrote:
> Christophe Trophime wrote:
> > Hi,
> > trying to create a mesh from a "template" geo file I append to notice
> > that I cannot create mesh file larger than 2 Gb. As I run gmsh (1.65) on
> > Linux FC5 I think that this limit is no longer due to the system (kernel
> > 2.6.xx). Is this limitation really specific of gmsh?
> >

> No. Do you run into this limit with a version you compiled on that
> machine, or with the stock pre-compiled version from the web site?

I use the source version of 1.65 and "limit" do not report limiation on
the file size.

> > I also wish to make gmsh able to write some other mesh file format
> > (especially for freefem++ and some cfd codes like Dolfyn, gerris, ...) .
> > Is there a simple way to tell 2D and 3D meshes when it comes to write
> > the mesh data to file (the only way I find so far is to look for
> > volumes).
>
> That's reasonable: Gmsh does not distinguish between 1D, 2D or 3D meshes.
>
> > I also need to write the vertices nodes list as follows :
> >
> > x y bc_id
> >
> > How can I simply retrieve the boundary id (bc_id) for the vertices?
>
> You'll have to write a new output routine. I would strongly encourage
> you to code it in the new code base if you actually do it: the whole
> output layer from 1.65 has been replaced in the upcoming Gmsh 2.0.

I have manage to produce BAMG mesh for freefem++ and it should also work
for dolfyn. The only problem in this case is that you have to generate a
file for the vertices, one for the "cells" and one for the boundaries.