[Gmsh] visualization question

Christophe Geuzaine cag32 at case.edu
Sat Nov 25 16:33:35 CET 2006

John Sheehan wrote:
> Hello,
>   I found Gmsh on Monday morning and I have to say it is an excellent,
> intuitive and
> very useful program.
>
> I have a question regarding the rendering. Consider the following simple
> input,
>
> View "temp" {
>         SQ( 0,0,0, 1,0,0, 1,1,0, 0,1,0 ){ 5, 10, 10, 0 };
>         SQ( 1,0,0, 2,0,0, 2,1,0, 1,1,0 ){ 10, 5, 0, 10 };
> };
>
> Should the rendering of this be vaguely symmetrical? Instead there
> appears to be
> a diagonal line across each square element. See attached png.

Yes, that's "normal": quads are rendered as 2 triangles in Gmsh.
(Interpolation in a quad is not linear.)

> Is it possible to remove this diagonal line and get a more symmetric
> looking image?

The next version of Gmsh will have arbitrary high-order post-processing.
  If you cannot wait until the next release, you could use the technique
described in this post:

http://geuz.org/pipermail/gmsh/2006/001816.html

But beware that the syntax will be different in the next release.