[Gmsh] STL importer/ auto boundary/ open cascade

Alfonso Medina amedina at isecorp.com
Thu Jan 11 01:37:37 CET 2007

Chris, I just spent a long time getting to learn perl (since my last
posting almost). I'm wondering, If I write something in perl, how can it
make its way into C++?   I'm in the middle of writing an STL file
importer to .GEO. ITs just that when I import anything on to GMSH, it
only saves the points. I'm doing it so that I can set up Open flower
problems easily.

My idea is to have a CAD program like Pro/e or a 3-d modeling program
like Blender, produce an ASCII stl output file for a model. At the
moment, I can just import points. This week probably (probably not
also), I'll be having it make lines, line loops and planes.

Then, I'll have another script that does the following:  I open the
newly imported .GEO, then I make two virtual surfaces. One inlet one
outlet, it could be more, but just to say.  The script then takes the
rest of the un used planes and makes them virtual walls.  And thats it.
Probably also I'll add some kind of variable set to each import.

But that is very specific to openflower. Now I'm reading about the open
cascade thing. Does that mean you will interpret STEP/IGES style  with
no triangles in the way? That would be soo awesome.

Alfonso