[Gmsh] Meshing the area between an STL-merged object and surrounding box.

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Wed Feb 14 14:40:40 CET 2007

Greg Retkowski wrote:
> Hello,
>   I'm trying to do some work with an STL-merged object and could use
> some help.
>
> I have an STL model which I'd like to use for a CFD problem (via
> OpenFlower). My plan is to create a box around the object, one end would
> be the inlet, the other end the outlet, and the remaining sides of the
> box would be boundary walls.
>
> I use 'merge' at the beginning of my gmsh file, and then set up a box
> around my model. I set up the physical walls and volumes and then
> attempt to mesh. The results are either that the STL object is meshed
> (internal to the object) or no mesh is generated. I've tried lots of
> different things in the geo file but cannot get it to mesh the area in
> the box.
>
> The STL & Gmsh GEO file are available via these links...
> http://www.rage.net/~greg/falcon1.stl
> http://www.rage.net/~greg/falcon1.geo
>
> Any advice on getting the area between the STL object and the box
> surrounding it would be greatly appreciated!

The attached file works with Gmsh 2.0 (use the 3D Delaunay algorithm in
Options->Mesh->General).

However, note that Gmsh 2.0 does not remesh STL files, so the triangles
in the STL are kept "as is" (which for your file leads to very poor
quality tets). We plan to re-add STL remeshing in a future release.

CG