[Gmsh] howto import STEP/IGES/BREP file?

Edgar Last edgar-chat at live.com
Tue Feb 19 11:22:43 CET 2008

Thanks for the solutions how to configure gmsh with opencascade support and how to import a STEP file.

Now I wonder how I can set the characteristic lengths in an imported geometry. Is there no documentation how to use the import feature? I will probably have many more questions about what shapes can be meshed, mesh control etc. Do I need to take the source code for the only "documentation"?

Btw, I am now using the precompiled gmsh version from the gmsh website, which is fine for the moment. The configure options you suggested didn't have any effect. I used:
./configure --enable-occ --with-occ-prefix=/opt/local/opencascade
Configure produced no output at all mentioning occ, is this to be expected? Compilation was successful, but no import possible. This is not a severe problem right now, because I can use the precompiled binary. However, I'd like to be able to compile with occ support. How can I find out why configure doesn't recognize occ?

Edgar