[Gmsh] Bug?

sserebrinsky at gmail.com sserebrinsky at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 05:33:06 CET 2008

Hi Christophe,

I am Santiago Serebrinsky, perhaps you remember me from Caltech (I used
to work with Michael Ortiz). I started using Gmsh, since I remembered
that Laurent Stainier introduced me to it while we were office mates. I
saw him juggling with his plots, so I gave it a chance. I like it very
much, though I am still getting familiar with it. I write to you mainly
about a possible bug, but I will take the opportunity to make some other
comments too:

1- Is it possible that the triad changes from left to right handed upon
drag-manipulation with the mouse? I had this impression several times,
but I am not sure if it is simply a prejudice of mine while looking at
what I called the left-handed image (see attachments), or if it can be
mathematically proved that such image can actually only be interpreted
as left-handed as I did.

2- It seemed to me that an extrusion extrudes not only the arguments of
the Extrude command, but also all elementary entities in the bottom part
of the bottom-up structure of the extruded entities. Is that right? Is
it possible to detect/retrieve the ID number assigned to the extrusion
of a particular elementary entity in the original extruded bottom-up
structure?

3- Is it possible to generate a mesh symmetric about a given plane (by
symmetry-copying another mesh)? I would like to do that, with a later
recognition and removal of the nodes that lay at the symmetry plane by
something like Coherence. If not (as I guess) do you plan to incorporate
something like this? As of now, I am doing this manually (which is quite
simple), but the upgrade would be very nice ;-)

4- Is it possible to refer in some way, in expressions, to all elements
in a list (instead of enumerating all of them)? I found by trial and
error that after
    extr[] = Extrude { 0, 0, B } { Surface{3,4}; } ;
I could use either
    symm[] = Symmetry { 0, 1, 0, 0 } { Duplicata{ Surface{ 3, 4,
extr[0], extr[1], extr[2], extr[3], extr[4], extr[5], extr[6], extr[7],
extr[8], extr[9], extr[10], extr[11], extr[12], extr[13], extr[14],
extr[15], extr[16], extr[17], extr[18], extr[19], extr[20], extr[21],
extr[22] }; } } ;
or
    symm[] = Symmetry { 0, 1, 0, 0 } { Duplicata{ Surface{ 3, 4, extr[]
}; } } ;
which is much easier and versatile, but I wasn't sure if such usage is
general, if Surface{ 3, 4, extr[] } is detecting which entities of
extr[] are surfaces and neglecting the rest, etc. On the other hand, it
seemed puzzling to me that, even if the previous command did the trick,
a similar command but only for points
    symm[] = Symmetry { 0, 1, 0, 0 } { Duplicata{ Point{ extr[] }; } } ;
did not generate symmetric copies of all points in extr. Same happened
with lines. Is there any way of performing these operations?

5- I would suggest that you add some examples after the enumeration of
each command. They may be very helpful, beyond the tutorial, since they
allow easy matching of the pattern with the example.

6-

Ok, good enough for now. Thanks for all, and please say hello to
Laurent. Perhaps we meet at the WCCM8 (I will be there).

Best, from Argentina,

Santiago

PS: I apologize in advance if any of this was in the reference manual
and I missed it.