[Gmsh] Importing Nastran BDF

Todd Martin todd.martin.nz at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 05:25:39 CEST 2008

Hi Chris

The more I use gmsh, the more I like it.

I have two questions.
a) when importing a BDF file, gmesh currently creates "elementary
entities" for each element according to its Nastran property id.
Shouldn't these be "physical groups" instead? These physical groups
could then be used to assign properties in Code-Aster.
(it would be even better if load and constraint points were
automatically converted to physical groups as well.)

b) Since "physical groups" can be named in gmesh, can these names be
used in Code-Aster to identify mesh groups, instead of "GM100" etc.
Perhaps this is a question for the Code-Aster people, but I thought you
might know.

I am very familiar with the Nastran solver, so I'd be happy to supply
any details about the bulk data format. In fact, soon I will be
comparing the results of some simply loaded composite plates in
Code-Aster and Calculix with those of NE Nastran. I'm pretty sure the
Calculix post-processor can export gmesh files, so I just need to get
the Nastran results out of FEMAP to view all the results in gmesh.

I'm using gmesh version 2.1.0-nightly-20071025

Thanks,
Todd.
Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, B.E. (1st Class Honours)